The One with the Hambly Studios Guest Designer


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I had the wonderful opportunity to be the Guest Designer for April for one of my favorite scrappy companies: Hambly Studios. It was oh so much fun to get my hands on a bunch on their amazing products. I love Hambly like a Bella loves Edward. Such bright and fun colors, just my style, and they're always on top of the latest trends. Swoon.
Photobucket
Photobucket
HUNTINGTON BEACH DOG PARK

Journaling says: One fine Saturday in March, we took our dog Joey on a field trip to the Huntington Beach dog park. He loved seeing dozens of other dogs, but one thing is for sure: he hates water. We still had a great time strolling along the beach and taking a few minutes to snap some photos at this cool lifeguard tower.

Tips: I watched Sherlock Holmes literally seven times while making all of these projects - I was just too lazy to switch out the DVD :) Plus I really like the movie and the music so I wasn't even sick of it. Now about the layout - I cut strips of slightly varying widths from all my favorite patterned papers and transparencies and framed them around a central photo. I added a few blank strips of kraft cardstock on which to journal. I finished with a smattering of buttons and rather than sewing them in place I connected the holes with a white pen - faux stitching - tricky tricky!

Supplies: Patterned paper, patterned transparencies: Hambly Screen Prints; Buttons, black pen: American Crafts; Letter stickers: Making Memories; White pen: Sharpie

Photobucket
Photobucket
AM A...

Journaling says: It's amazing everything one person can be. The influence that you can have on people's lives. I am a wife to Chris. I am a sister Eric and Allison. I am a daughter to Tom and Carolyn. I am a daughter-in-law to Tom & Margi. I am a soon-t0-be mother, though I consider myself a mother to our pets. I am a niece to Steve & Katy, Dave & Cissy, John & Natalie, and David & Anissa. I am a friend to many and hope to continue to make and keep many friends. I am an aunt to Drew, Avery, and Luke. Not included in the title, I am a cousin to John, Maren, Sara Jayne, James, Elizabeth, Cat, Daniel, Benji, and Leah. Hopefully more to come! I am an in-law to Bethany & Peter, Jay, Andy & Cami, and Nick. These are just a few of my connections to people in this world. Oh, I'm also a granddaughter to Ted & Doris and John & Cathie. I hope that I can become the best version of me possible so that I can be the person all of these individuals need me to be. Some day in the future, like waaay in the future, I want to add the title of grandma and even great-grandma. But, let's not even start thinking about that yet :) Every day I will do all that I can to build these eternal relationships and make them stronger.

Tips: I started by punching 1.25" circles from my favorite patterned papers and transparencies then I adhered them around a circle of white cardstock. I stitched around and around and around the layout giving it a fun texture. Funny thing, I was originally going to scrapbook on the other side of the layout (hence the solid colored circles - they're patterned on the other side), but when I flipped it over I liked the texture of the sewing better, I loved the brightness of the solid circles, and I liked being able to see the circles in their entirety. So I scrapped on this side of the page instead! I put a picture in the middle, added words that describe who/what I am around the edge, and journaled between the stitched lines. I finished by applying a rub on wing.

Supplies: Patterned paper, patterned transparencies, wing rub on: Hambly Screen Prints; Cardstock, buttons, pen: American Crafts; Letter stickers: American Crafts (Thickers), Making Memories (mini paper)

Photobucket
Photobucket
CAFE RIO

Journaling says: One of the things I knew I was going to miss about Utah was Cafe Rio. But thankfully they built one a half hour away. So worth the drive.

Tips: I applied an entire sheet of white doilies across the top of an aqua cardstock background as clouds. Then I hand cut branches from kraft paper (I drew them with a pencil first then cut them out with an exacto knife), and added "bark" detailing with a brown pen. Then I cut out lots of leaves from patterned papers and transparencies, folded them in half, and glued them in place. I know that trees don't really have much to do with Mexican food, but it's just what came to mind when I planned this layout!

Supplies: Patterned paper, patterned transparencies, rub on doilies: Hambly Screen Prints; Cardstock, letter stickers, pens: American Crafts

Photobucket
Photobucket
SEE ANY CHANGE? ME NEITHER...

Journaling says: Besides the different outfits and slight lengthening of my hair, I don't see much of a difference between these photos. But no matter. I know what's going on inside. Every week, little by little, you're growing and getting bigger. It's only a matter of time before I won't be able to conceal my growing bump. Of course I'm still worried about losing you, but my family is great at calming me down. So for now, every Sunday after church we'll document your growth.

Tips: I wanted to create a collage of my favorite stickers and rub ons and thought these pictures of my growing (or seemingly not...) belly would be fun to scrap. It's just a hodge podge of a sticker here, a rub on there, and some journaling in-between!

Supplies: Rub ons, stickers: Hambly Screen Prints; Letter stickers: American Crafts, Hambly Screen Prints, Making Memories; Pen, buttons: American Crafts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
NECKLACE
Supplies: Patterned paper, patterned transparencies: Hambly Screen Prints; Ric rac, buttons: American Crafts; Floss: DMC; Felt: Craft supply; Other: Hot glue gun, needle

Instructions for necklace:
1. Hand cut circles from your favorite patterned papers and patterned transparencies. Vary the sizes of the circles.
2. Layer concentric circles together, then crumple and distress each circle for texture and dimension.
3. Sew a button to the middle of each stack of circles.
4. Arrange the layered circles how you want them, then hot glue them to a scrap of felt.
5. Hot glue a piece of ric rac to the top of each corner to create a way to tie the necklace around your neck.
6. Wear and enjoy!

So there you have it! Check out the Hambly blog to see tons of other fun and inspiring projects and products!

19 comments

  1. These look super awesome! Hambly intimidates me... LOL. But you totally rock it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all of them!

    how do you adhere transparencies? do i spy rolled dots underneath? i cant seem to find any particular method as invisible as yours appear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous works!
    i love the cafe rio tree and the circle layout a lot.
    curious - how do you store your pages? do you have a fave type of album, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Am A layout is one of my favorites. I love the combination of all the thickers. How did you manage to arrange them all so it was a complete circle with no gaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was SO excited to see you as the guest DT member - I LOVE their stuff and you've done such an amazing job with it all. Well done Paige!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are SO stinkin' creative!! I love the "I AM" layout. The circle journaling works so well!

    Also, could you share with me who did you blog design? I really love it and I'm in the market for a little blog makeover! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOOOOOVE these. incredible designs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. serious. eye. candy!!! i'm drooling over here! love hambly's amazing sense of color! totally scraplifting your tree and "i am..." layouts!! love that the latter is a circle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ♥ Hambly and I ♥♥♥ what you did using it all! oh gracious..that tree, to DIE for. Your colorful entry today is JUST what I needed.
    Thanks for the push! (btw...I See a change! ;D)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMW.. You´re style is amazing. I´m stunned by the gorgeous colorcombos and design. You headed right up to the top on my favourite inspirational scrappers- list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with those tree branches. I can't draw branches worth squat! I was hoping they were a product I could buy and trace and keep forever, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Paige - I'll have to go check out the Hambly blog tonight...This work is outstanding. I love how you use color and how playful your layouts are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love both of these layouts!! Such a contrast between the square layout and the circle layout! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Paige, hope you are feeling good these days. These are truly fabulous, I think your best work. Hambly is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok seriously, your hambly projects have me DROOLING here. and you make me want to run out and buy LOTS and LOTS of it (even though hambly kind of scares me. although i sure love smelling it!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your layouts are amazing. someday in the distant future in the I AM A layout you can put grandma too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Dorian - I used the dotted adhesive roller by American Crafts - it's pretty transparent glue and I tried to only put it underneath patterns so it wouldn't show through as much. But upon close inspection, you can see it :)

    Mel - I emailed ya, but just in case, I use American Crafts 12x12 D-Ring cloth albums. They come with 10 page protectors and I just add more page protectors as needed. Love them!

    Julie - how I managed to make the letters fit in a perfect circle is I didn't press them down all the way until I moved them around and made the circle bigger to include the "aunt". Then I stuck them all down permanently :)

    Rachel - Kristina Proffitt designed my blog. I'm not sure if she's taking orders right now cuz she's pregnant, but she was also working with a partner so maybe she still is? Her blog is: kristinaisonehappymama.blogspot.com

    That's all for now :) Thanks for the love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tree with those multi-colored leaves is amazingly creative! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a little late but Congratulations on your guest dt for Hambly! Love love love your projects! I don't see any difference either... you make me sick! ha! :)

    ReplyDelete

Paige Taylor Evans © // Quinn Creatives DESIGN